Monday 25 February 2013

My mom

Once in the heat of discovery, I called my mom to take me to my husbands workplace - suspecting that he was meeting someone there after hours.

My mom took me gladly and off I went - highly pregnant and pissed off. En route she told me that every woman should have a car. Not only for their our own independence, but so that we can track down our husbands whenever we need to. I believe her exact words were - no man should ever think that you can't reach them. A bit dramatic I thought at the time, but she was right. Men take advantage of our homeliness and get away with murder, simply because they have the car.

This year, my mom gave her car to me. A little beat up, but its mine free and clear. When I spoke about getting a family car, all she said was she hopes that I remember what she said. I had forgotten in that moment, how it had felt to call my own mother to track down my husband. The embarrassment and anger at the time was to much for me to bear...and now again, if I should call on her to do the same, she would do it in a heartbeat, but that wouldn't be fair.

So my freedom now stands in our driveway and he is confused as to why I won't give it up for a bigger car.

But I won't. Its mine.

Thanks mom for giving me that....

No comments:

Post a Comment