Monday 8 April 2013

How to dress for Thailand - for big girls

My sisters!! This is my brutally honest guide about how to dress for Thailand for big girls...

Toothpicks, toothpicks everywhere - Thai women are shorter and more slender that most in the western world. You are going to feel even bigger over there - but don't despair, just be prepared :-)

1. Wear extremely light clothing - you are going to sweat like crazy. The kind of sweat that pours down in riverlets - no kidding. So I would suggest  extremely light weight materials and wear good underarm. Don't feel the need to compete with the spaghetti straps. I noticed right away, that the local women wear 3/4 sleeves to protect from the sun and only tourists wear no sleeves and in the process get severely burned. So you can still cover up and feel like you're on holiday. Pretty fabrics that don't cling, will help you feel comfortable in the heat.

2. You have got to get the right shoes-  No high heels! Pack in lovely durable walking friendly sandals. I wore Tongas - absolutely worth its weight in gold.Somehow the heat makes walking that much more difficult and the distances in Thailand are far. A bangkok block is something to be in awe of - be prepared. I took a pair of takkies and sandals and spend most of my time in sandals. It allows you to cool down, while still looking stylish. Its worth investing in a good pair of walking sandals as it needs to carry your weight in extreme temperatures for long distances, without giving you bunions or making your feet hurt.

3. You have got to get something between those thighs - I took a skirt with me and within 15 minutes of walking, the rubbing of my thighs made my skin feel raw. There I was trying to look  all feminine for my husband, while my thighs felt like I had rubbed salt in an open wound. Its enough to ruin a holiday. If you want to wear a skirt, then pack in a cycling/cotton shorts that you can sneak in under and no-one will be none the wiser. You thighs won't be in direct contact with each other and you can benefit from having a  breeze bless your legs every now and then. I pretty much lived in my 3/4s and it worked out well.

4. The hair must go up - You are going to sweat and your fabulous hair will make it worse.  Hats are a good idea - buy one of two when you get there. Take some beautiful clips to tie up your pretty tresses.

5. Pantyliners!  If you are a mom or a big girl- the pelvic floor aint what it used to be.  Because its so hot there, you will (and should be )drinking more water than you do at home. This means that, unfortunate leakage is bound happen with all the fun sightseeing and walk abouts that you will be doing. Be prepared!  Pantyliners over there are extremely thin - so if you can buy them over there, but I was grateful to take my slightly thicker ones from home.

6. Make up is a no-no - It all slides off. I don't know how the asian women do it, but I was sweating enough for everything to slide right off and the products I had was some hardcore stuff.  Instead, get a good sunscreen, drink lots of water before to clear your skin and let the Thailand sun kiss you for that fabulous look.

7.  You can buy clothes in Thailand if you are a big girl - your options are very limited though, but you can. Undoubtedly, they cater for size 14 and down. I am a size 22/42.  There are a million flea market styled stalls (no exaggeration) and every now and then I saw one size fits all girly tops with a drawstring under the boobs, so you can fit it as you like. I bought one and I wore it for 50% of my time there. But be warned, I was just about fitting into it, at my size. If you are bigger, bring your own tops as you can't be sure of finding you feel comfortable in. So yes -You can buy tops there! I don't know about jeans or skirts though. I think that might be harder to come by...

8. Bathers - Its unfortunate that we don't exactly look our best in bathers given our weight, but you can still look fabulous for those island days. I bought one of the dress bathers - pretty floral with a mini skirt that covered where my thighs met. My mom made me this floaty cover up - a cross between a sun dress and a sarong. It was made of beautiful silky gauazy delicate material that demanded a bather must be worn underneath, lest your dignity was exposed to the world. I felt amazing, next to to the bikinis and miniskirts. We can't do skimpy and short- but we can rock sexy elegance!

9.  Do your best to lose some weight before you go- the less you weigh the more comfortable you will be in a land where everything is built for a smaller people, but that being said. About two weeks before you go - let go. Embrace the weight! Walk tall, shoulders back and enjoy being a foreigner in an exotic land. Nothing looks more beautiful than being comfortable and happy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment