Thursday 24 May 2012

Gypsy Weddings

I have been watching Gypsy Weddings and I am totally facinated by their culture. What has grabbed my attention even more, is the age at which they get married. When I was 16, all I knew was that I liked the flirtatous looks boys gave me. They are so young and inexperienced, but so sure that this is what they want..it astounds me.

I wonder what life is like for them after the novelty of sex and being husband and wife wears off. I wonder about the long term happiness in these marriages - is infidelity expected and part and parcel of life or is the happily ever after still desired? Barely adults when they get married, how do they know what they need vs what they want?

Looking back, I don't know if I would have allowed my husband to get married so young. He was freshly 24 then and inexperienced. In my more clinical moments I recognise the allure of grabbing the opportunity, when you have only ever had sex with one person. I understand how wonderful it must feel to know someone else is interested in you and to want the opportunity explore other relationships. It was just bad timing. Maybe he should have played the field a little bit, before settling down. Perhaps life would have been different for us, if he had...but he wanted both and wasn't courageous enough to choose.

And now I look at these young guys, excited and flush with victory of getting the girl and I wonder how long it will be before their eyes and hands wander to next available woman. Has their culture ensured marital misery? and are they okay with it? Passion burns bright, but it burns itself out in the end - and when that happens often we believe that love no longer exists and that other woman or man down the road must surely be your soul mate. The wedding dress, escourt and cake all distant memories...

Cinders for a day...


I think we should ban people getting married under the age of 27. We barely know who we are, never mind what we need in a partner...but on the other hand people change anyway, so who you marry today, may not be the same person you wake up to in years to come...

Gypsy weddings...I wish we could see how life unfolds afterwards...


No comments:

Post a Comment