Monday 1 October 2012

Middle aged crazy lady

So hubby, baby and I are waiting for the elevator to arrive in a swarming shopping mall. Despite the desperateness of our situation, we are having a good day. As we start moving closer and closer to the elevator,  a strident angry female voice is heard. "I didn't say it...you said...I don't have to anything I don't want to do"...I looked for the source of such anger and settled on a middle aged woman. In a snapshot I saw her sneering face, his defensive posture,the daughter looking uncomfortable and I thought...I wonder what he did...

It wasn't to long ago that I would have automatically have felt sorry for the man. Shame, to have such a harridan for a wife. Poor thing, how does he cope...

But now, my first thought is...I wonder what he did to deserve it, because clearly he must have done something to deserve it. Unknowing of any fact, I immediately side with her. You go girl! Tell him off - must be asshole jerk face...they all are.

For a moment, I thought I should feel guilty about my bias - but I realised that perhaps I have just grown up. All those times I saw women look daggers at their husband, seemingly unnecessarily sharp and sounding a tinge rageful - I would think hell woman calm down. Stop bullying your husband like that...but now I know different. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. There is a lot of "mistakes" that can be made when you have married for a while and maybe she is just sick of it. She can't bring herself to leave, but neither can she believe that she actually stayed. Bitter about the self imposed sacrifice, she lashes out - impatient with him and hurting at the memories of a time when he took her loyality for granted.

This is how it ends...there is no fairytale ending. Just a life filled with trying to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment